Last year marked the 20th anniversary of Lauryn Hill's groundbreaking solo album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. The record, released on August 25, 1998, is extremely personal to Lauryn and talks about love, her relationship with Rohan Marley, her son Zion, and especially her strong faith, as God is one of main themes throughout the album.
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill not only debuted at No. 1 on the charts, but broke a record for first week sales by a female artist at the time, and earned Lauryn 10 Grammy nominations and five Grammy wins (and she was the first woman to receive that many nominations). All of this success propelled Hill's career, making her an international superstar, and it's all thanks to her incredible songwriting talent.
Since Lauryn's one and only full-length solo album is so deeply personal, it's full of lyrics that are so real and relatable. The songs also contain lyrics that are inspiring, and even mantras to live your life by. Take a look at some of her most truthful lyrics below.
1. "Don't be a hard rock when you really are a gem/Baby girl, respect is just a minimum."
2. "It's silly when girls sell their souls because it's in."3. "How you gonna win when you ain't right within?"
4. "Everything Is Everything/What is meant to be, will be."
5. "Tomorrow, our seeds will grow/All we need is dedication."
6. "Beware the false motives of others/Be careful of those who pretend to be brothers/And you never suppose it's those who are closest to you."
7."To survive is to stay alive in the face of opposition/Even when they comin, gunnin I stand position."
8. "Miscommunication lead to complication."
9. "Wisdom is better than silver and gold."
10. "Consequence is no coincidence."
11. "Now I may have faith to make mountains fall/But if I lack love, then I am nothin' at all."
12. "And I made up my mind to define my own destiny."
13. "He says it's impossible, but I know it's possible."
14. "What a joy it is to be alive/To get another chance, yeah/Everyday's another chance/To get it right this time."
15. "And if you ever been in love/Then you'd understand/That what you want might make you cry/What you need might pass you by."
16. "See what you give is just what you get."
Photo: Getty Images